Asian Flair! Feed your family for under $22!

All things are possible. With the rising cost of food, the media has reported that companies like McDonald's has been making a KILLING with YOUR hard earned money. So let me ask...do you think eating McDonald's everyday is healthy? I try to resist the urge to give my kids fast food unless I'm rewarding them for something. Let's face it, as much as I enjoy eating out...I'd much rather eat something that I KNOW is healthy and I KNOW it's good for my entire family.

You can easily spend $22 at Mickey Dee's and get some fat and calorie filled junk food...or you can spend that same money on something that's healthy and that tastes great!

Now, I've posted before about my love for Fresh & Easy. Keep in mind the prices I'm posting are the actual prices of the items I've purchased there. These prices might vary from your local markets like Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Trader Joe's.

Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry, Steamed Rice and Chicken & Veggie Pot Stickers



2 - 16oz bags of Frozen Stir Fry Vegetables @ $1.69 each
1.75lbs of skinless, boneless chicken breast meat @ $5.17
1 bottle of Soy Vay's Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce - $3.79 (or your favorite Teriyaki sauce)
1 - 2lb bag of calrose rice @ $1.65
1 large bag of chicken and vegetable pot stickers @ $7.49 (I actually got this at my local Korean grocer - I already had this in my freezer)
You can get frozen pot stickers at Trader Joe's for 1/2 the cost!

Add that up...that's $21.48! My entire family ate (minus the baby of course and I have enough left overs for 2 more meals!)


Directions:

Cut the chicken into small strips or chunks. Pour about a cup of the teri sauce over the chicken and allow it to marinate in a bowl for about 10 minutes. Of course the longer it marinates, the more flavorful it'll be...but I like to prepare things as quickly as possible...and it's just not that serious sometimes! Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and saute the chicken until it's no longer pink. Add both bags of stir fry veggies and cover. Let it cook on a medium high flame for about 10 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking, you should have your rice cooking too. The secret to a perfect pot of rice is FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS!! Too much water will make your rice mushy. Not enough water will make your rice hard...and who wants crunchy rice? Eww...

Pour the remaining amount of teri sauce over the veggies and mix (as well as you can). I usually add about 1/4 cup of cold water to 2 tablespoons of corn starch to the sauce to thicken it up (because the veggies are frozen and retain lots of water on their own). Who wants soupy teri stir fry? YUCK!



Mix the corn starch and water in a small cup and just pour it in the skillet. Turn up the heat as mix. The sauce will begin to thicken. I know it'll seem like a lot of sauce, but trust me...the sauce over rice is WICKED!!! And I don't really DO soy sauce on white rice. Funny...I'm half Chinese and I don't like soy sauce! That's like being American and not liking ketchup!



I used oyster sauce (that brown goop on my plate) to go with the pot stickers ...which I deep fried (straight from the freezer until they were golden brown). I had a mean craving for oyster sauce last night...must be the Chinese in me!!

Enjoy!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails