Broccoli Cheese Soup



Ok, I know this should be a part of Menu Plan Monday, but I had a taste for this yesterday and decided to throw it together - of course that was after having to hunt down a recipe that didn't require me to run out and purchase anything. I had everything in my kitchen already!

YAY FOR ME!!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter (I used margarine)
1 onion (diced, but you can omit if you want to)
1 teaspoons garlic SALT (NOT POWDER)
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper (I used black pepper - does it matter?)
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli (or fresh if you have it)
4 cups of chicken broth (I used 4 tsp Knorr Chicken Bullion/4 cups of water)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used the leftover Mexican blend that I had)

----------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Melt butter or margarine over medium heat in a stockpot. Cook onion in butter until softened. Add garlic powder and pepper. Cook for 1 minute then stir in broccoli and stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until broccoli is tender (about 10 -15 minutes). Whisk flour into milk until dissolved. Stir into soup stirring frequently until thickened. Reduce heat and stir in the cheese until melted. Season with salt to taste.

I didn't have time to do it last night, but since I have so much left over I'm going to make some cornbread to go with it!! I'm not sharing! This was so good that I ended up having TWO bowls!

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Ok, the very next week after I originally posted this recipe I decided to make a double batch (because I ended up having to SHARE my soup with the family). This time I used a frozen "California Blend" which is broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. I followed the recipe TO THE LETTER (except the original recipe called for 2 teaspoons of garlic POWDER - and since I was doubling the batch I used 3 teaspoons because I thought 4 would be too much). The garlic powder WAS too much. I was better off using garlic salt as I had when I first made it.

So...I've got a damn near full jar of garlic powder...does anyone want it? HAHAHA!! Using garlic SALT gave it just the right amount of salt (without actually USING salt) and the right amount of garlic flavor.

Also, the California Blend wasn't a great idea either. I love carrots, but they didn't go well in this soup to me. So I'm going to try again (3rd time has GOT to be a charm) and just use Broccoli and Cauliflower. I'll post the results after I make it!!



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails