Onion Soup



In my attempt to get over my love/hate relationpship with the onion, I tried some onion soup once and was shocked that I actually LIKED it. Well, you know me...I like to keep things simple...so I found a recipe that was easy to make and tasty.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound Firm white onions − sliced (maybe 2 or 3 really nice sized onions)
1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
2 tablespoons Corn oil
3 tablespoons Flour
4 cups Chicken broth (or 4 teaspoons of Knorr Chicken Bullion and 4 cups of water)
4 cups Beef broth (or 4 teaspoons of Knorr Beef Bullion and 4 cups of water)
8 slices French bread
Swiss cheese − shredded
Parmesan − grated

-------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Saute onions in butter and oil until onions are transparent, but not well browned. When tender, turn heat to lowest point and sprinkle with flour, stirring vigorously. Pour into Dutch oven and stir in broths. Heat thoroughly and divide among 8 oven−proof bowls. Mix equal parts of cheese to smooth paste and spread over bread. Float a slice of bread atop each serving. Place all bowls on oven rack 4" from broiler heat and broil until cheese melts.

Serve at once. Leftover soup freezes well up to 6 months.

Enjoy!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails