Funnel Cake



When I was in the later stages of my pregnancy, I was craving funnel cake like you wouldn't believe! I was so disappointed when my middle son's school fair didn't have funnel cake this year. I had to settle for strawberry shortcake. And you know how pregnancy cravings can really work you over if you don't get what you REALLY want!!

I was way too lazy to hit the local Farmer's Market on the weekends, because that's the only place I know that has them YEAR ROUND! I don't have to wait for the county fair or the school fairs at the end of the school year.

To satisfy my cravings, I had to hunt down an easy enough recipe for me to follow that didn't require TOO much work. I may be SUPER MOM and wife, but being pregnant in the middle of summer was no joke and I didn't have the patience for anything complicated. So here goes...

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups sifted flour
1 teas. baking powder
1 teas. salt
2 cups vegetable oil
Cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar


--------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the eggs and the milk. Add flour mixture to the egg mixture. Beat with a mixer until smooth; the consistency should be thin enough to run through a small kitchen funnel. Test it and if it is too thick beat in a little more milk; if too thin, beat in a bit more flour, In an eight inch skillet, heat the oil to 360 degrees.

Put your finger over the bottom opening of the funnel, and fill the funnel with a generous 1/2 cup of the batter. Hold the funnel close to the surface of the oil, and release the batter into the oil while making a circular motion. Fry until golden brown, use tongs and wide spatula to turn the cake over carefully. Fry the second side 1 minute. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with powdered sugar or
cinnamon sugar.

For a sweeter treat, top with strawberries and whipped cream!!



Enjoy!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails