Jook - The Chinese Version of Chicken Noodle Soup




For a VERY long time I disliked the very thing I'm posting. But in my recent quest to make good food and try new things for my family to sample, I got a weird craving for this dish.

Being half Chinese I've been exposed to Chinese food my entire life. I'm not talking about that $1 Chinese food you find in strip malls. I'm talking about the REAL deal. I remember my grandmother would make dishes that I didn't even know the names for (at least not the English translation). I found myself asking my mother tons of questions about how to make Jook and she gave me the easiest recipe to follow. She always describes this as the "poor man's soup" because she grew up being taught not to waste a THING when it comes to food.

So far I've made this twice and right now it's my favorite comfort food for a cold night.

Ingredients:

1 whole turkey carcass (or 2 chicken carcasses)
Leftover turkey or chicken meat cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup Knorr Chicken Bullion
1/2 cup minced green onion
1 1/2 cups of uncooked white rice
3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce
LOTS OF WATER

-------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Place the carcass and meat in a LARGE stock pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the all of the bones. I know it seems like a lot of water, but once you remove the carcass and add everything else, it'll cook down. Next, add the chicken bullion and rice. Bring everything to a rolling boil, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. I usually leave a bit of meat on the turkey once it's been carved, so carefully lift the carcass and remove as much of the meat as possible - by now it'll be falling from the bones.

Once you're satisfied with the amount of meat you've pulled from the bones, discard the carcass. You'll notice that the soup has thickened from the starch in the rice. Add the green onions and soy sauce, mix well. You can add cilantro or fried won ton strips on top and enjoy...

There is no need to season this dish other than with the soy sauce. I usually rub the inside of my turkey and chicken with seasoning anyway...that all boils into the broth in the cooking process. The soy sauce gives it just the right flavor. Please try this one...it's sure to please on those cold winter nights!


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails