Pastel de Tres Leches (Three milk cake)



I have a wicked sweet tooth...but most of the time I can keep it under control. I've been dying to make a Tres Leches cake for quite some time.

Over the years they've become popular enough to be found in larger supermarket chains and bakeries that have a Hispanic population near by. Usually, they can be a little on the pricey side - especially if you're just trying to get your hands on a good slice of cake!

You know I like to keep things simple...so I hunted down a recipe that looked extremely easy (read: not time consuming) and one that I could play with as far as the recipe was concerned...because yall KNOW how much I like to add my own flair! A friend of mine came by and had a slice yesterday and paid me a HUGE compliment..."This tastes better than a Mexican's cake! My mom would hate you!!"

That only means that my mission was accomplished!! I made an authentic Mexican dessert (minus all the ridiculous mixing and egg separating that's normally called for)!! Hey...not bad for a Black and Chinese girl, eh?

Ingredients:



CAKE
1 box of Duncan Hines butter or yellow cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup water

MILK SAUCE (with a kick)
1 can condensed milk
1 cup of half & half
2/3 cup of fat free evaporated milk
1/4 cup Malibu Rum (any flavor - I used Tropical Banana)

FROSTING (with a LITTLE kick)
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 capful of Rum *big grin*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and flour lightly. Mix together the cake mix, water, oil, eggs and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes. While the cake is baking, prepare the milk sauce.



In a large bowl, mix condensed milk, evaporated milk, half & half and the Rum with a wire whisk. If you've never purchased condensed milk before, you'll need a spoon to scrape it all out of the can. It's extremely thick.

Once the cake is finished, allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.

With a long tined fork, poke holes in the cake about 1/2 inch apart.




Pour the milk sauce over the entire cake.



(Thanks Bri for taking pictures while I poured!!)

The liquid will absorb quickly, so don't freak out if it disappears within seconds.



Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at LEAST an hour. I baked my cake at night (which is usually when I'm in the mood for baking) and refrigerated the cake overnight. It might be a good idea to do this when you're in no real rush to eat it...just a thought.

When you're ready to frost the cake, combine the whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and Rum with an electric mixer (on low) until the cream begins to peak...don't worry about it...if you've never made whipped cream before, you'll KNOW when it's starts to peak. Don't over mix (like I did because I was distracted by my children) , it won't look as fluffy and pretty!!

Carefully frost the cake and add your choice of fruit topping (or not). I used jarred Mango halves and added about 2 teaspoons of the juice in with the whipped topping.




Cut yourself a slice and ENJOY!! Please keep in mind that this cake IS perishable...keep it refrigerated!



OMG...it's to DIE for!! Really...it is!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails