Banana Chocolate Chip Cake


You know how much I hate to waste. Lately I've been buying those 5lb. bags of bananas when I go grocery shopping. Usually my kids polish them off pretty quickly, but sometimes a few get left untouched. I hate to toss them, so I've been searching for banana recipes that don't require me to run out and purchase things I don't normally keep on hand (like buttermilk - a staple for most banana recipes).

I found this recipe and decided to try it with a few minor alterations. The recipe I'm posting is the one I followed (hehehe...I'm bad at following directions, so this really IS my recipe at this point). It turned out super moist, not overly sweet and the kids LOVED it!!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup ripened mashed bananas (try not to use much more than this...otherwise the cake will be gummy)
1 egg
1/2 cup (or 1 stick) margarine (melted)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 semisweet chocolate chips

----------------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x8 (or 9x9) baking pan. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and ground cloves. In a separate bowl, combine bananas, egg, melted margarine, milk and vanilla. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until well blended. Be sure not to over mix. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. It will have some melted chocolate, but not cake crumbs.

Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream!! Mmm Mmm good...I forgot to take a picture of it. By the time I remembered, it was all gone...

Enjoy!
  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails