Gumbo


Since everyone was asking and emailing for the recipe...here it is. It's a bit different from the original recipe I had posted on my old cooking blog because I've figured out a way to make it EASIER (read: a little less chopping and cutting). But feel free to add fresh ingredients in place of my canned ones. I have a SEVERE intolerance to shell fish...so my recipe does NOT include ANY seafood, but you're free to add it if you'd like.

Since I have a large family, I don't know how to cook for 2...so before you prepare any of my recipes, you might wanna run out and buy a great big stock pot...like this one...16 cups of fluid fills about HALF of this pot (just to give you an idea of how much it holds).

INGREDIENTS:

3 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken leg meat (or chicken thighs)
1 box Farmer John Louisiana smoked links (approx. 3 lbs), thinly sliced
1 cup olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced garlic (which I substituted with shallots)
14 cups chicken broth (I used Knorr chicken bullion in a jar)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer (My preference is Heineken)
6 stalks celery, diced
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 sweet onion, sliced
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, with liquid
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (try not to substitute this one)

--------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, blend olive oil and flour to create a roux. Stir constantly until browned and bubbly. Mix in garlic, and cook about 1 minute.

Pour chicken broth and beer into a large stock pot and gradually stir in the roux mixture. Bring to a boil. Mix in sliced smoked links, chicken meat, celery, tomatoes, sweet onion, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, parsley, and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat to medium-high, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes. Pull chicken meat out and separate meat with a fork and return to the pot. Simmer for another 45 minutes until all the vegetables are soft. If adding seafood, at during the last 20 minutes of cooking. Serve over rice.

Enjoy!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails