Chinese Soup


At least that's what my kids call it!!

I'm half Chinese, but my mother didn't really cook Chinese food when I was growing up. We're 3rd and 4th generation Chinese Americans...so by the time I came along, it was fried chicken, pork chops and tacos!

And I won't lie, I'm a completel Asian food snob...if it smells funny or looks strange, I'm not eating it - and you CAN'T MAKE ME!!

I came up with this soup one night while I was hosting a dinner party for a couple of my girlfriends. The theme of the night was Chinese food. I made fried won ton, chicken chow mein, steamed rice, Chinese sausage (called Lap Xiang) and soup.



The soup has quickly become a family favorite - especially for me kids...I would probably call it Egg Drop Won Ton soup, but my kids simply refer to it as CHINESE SOUP.


Ingredients:

12 cups of water
1/4 cup of Knorr Chicken Bullion
1 1/2 cups of shredded carrots
2 cups of bean sprout (canned or fresh)
6 baby bok choy (bottoms chopped off)
2 small cans of sliced waterchestnuts (slivered)
2 small cans (or 1 regular sized can) of bamboo shoots
6 green onions (minced)
1 bag of frozen chicken gyozas or pot stickers
4 eggs (scrambled)
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
** OR you can use 3 tablespoons of cajun seasoning for a nice kick (my preference)!

----------------------------------------------------------

Directions:

Ok, brace yourself...this is the BEST part...pull out your stock pot and pour everything in EXCEPT the scrambled egg and pot stickers. Bring the broth to a rolling boil and then turn down the heat to medium, cover and let simmer until the the bok choy is tender (about 45 minutes). Add pot stickers and cook for another 15 minutes. Pour in scrambled eggs and STIR (to break the eggs up in the broth).

I started serving the soup with rice in the bowl and we all love it!

Enjoy!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Related Posts with Thumbnails